Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Introduction Part 2: FAQS

When do I leave?

I will be leaving for Thailand at the end of August  and will return to the states at the end of December. 


How do I contact you/ will you have internet?


I'm really uncertain. I'm not bringing my phone or computer with me to Thailand. All of our homework assignments are handwritten. The first 5 weeks I'll be in the city, but after that most of my time will be spent in the fields. The ISDSI program does offer a computer lab specifically for its students, so I'm sure I'll be able to get online from there. 

After the first 5 weeks I may not have internet access often so blog updates might be fewer. I am bringing a journal with me to write, so if I miss a chance to post, rest assured it will get typed and posted when I return to the city. 

Of note: The ISDSI program also hosts a blog to keep up with students in the program. To learn more about the program and visit their blog, visit http://www.isdsi.org/blog/

Thailand? Why Thailand?


The time period to chose a program was interesting for me. DU offers over 150 partner programs. Studying on a partner program means that I do not have to suspend enrollment at DU, my credits automatically transfer, and I have a lot more guidance through the study abroad process. DU has a building designated as the International House (I-House) right on campus. In the basement are flyers for every single program that you could possibly go on with brief descriptions of requirements. When I realized the breadth of my choices, I was pretty much paralyzed, so I did what every rational person would do. I went to the I-House and grabbed every flyer for every program that I was eligible for. Ruling out all language requirement programs, I still had well over 50 flyers in my hands and I read through every single one of them making piles on my bed of Definitely Yes, Maybe Yes, Maybe No, Definitely No. I won't bore you with all the details, but after a lot of pondering, many conversations with family and friends, and a lot of application essays, I applied and was accepted to the ISDSI program in Chiang Mai. 

I have to explain that I did not choose this program for its location. When I initially began looking at my study abroad options, I was not looking for a culture shock; however, reading through the program details my mouth began to water. 

This program was unlike any of the other programs I had looked at. The ISDSI program in Thailand combines my passion for science, social justice, and experiential learning under the umbrella of sustainable development. Fieldwork will allow me to observe the real world extension of microprocesses to the macro level in three distinct ecosystems; this will allow me to better understand applications of microbiology to sustainable development when I return to my studies at DU. Social justice work has been a life-long passion of mine. I look forward to exploring alternative concepts of justice to expand my understanding beyond American values. This program will provide me with an opportunity to familiarize myself with global challenges from the perspective of another country and culture.he ISDSI program also provides the greatest chance for my own personal growth. I’ve always been a cautious adventurer. When presented with new or challenging things, I face them with enthusiasm, but also with anxiety. I had many fears when initially choosing a study abroad program including adapting to a different culture, sticking out as a Caucasian, and how  my experience as a woman might differ from a man’s experience. Though I was scared, I knew I wanted to face my fears and take on the challenge of this once in a lifetime opportunity. 

To be frank, I knew nothing about southeast asia, its cultures, or its people. I was planning on studying in London or Israel, a more familiar territory and I still can't believe I'm crazy enough to chose this adventure over stability.  This program is also competitive and I wasn't sure I would be accepted. When I got the email, I screamed. I'm pretty sure my Mom couldn't believe it either. The first step for both of us was finding Thailand on the map. She then promptly went to search for a Jewish community in Thailand, while I started reading everything I could on Wikipedia. 

Where will I be? :


Chiang Mai is the largest city in northern Thailand. It is a cultural center, has become increasingly modern in recent years, and soon may apply for "Creative City" status with UNESCO. There is an excellent Wikipedia article on the city that I suggest as required reading for anyone reading this blog. 




Thailand on the map. 10 points if you could locate it before you saw this picture

Here it is a bit closer up. 

And there's the city I'll be in, Chiang Mai


What is Sustainable Development? (What will I study?):


Sustainable Development:

refers to a mode of human development in which resource use aims to meet human needs while ensuring the sustainability of natural systems and the environment, so that these needs can be met not only in the present, but also for generations to come.  
The concept of sustainable development has been broken out into four domains:  economic, ecological, political and cultural sustainability.

In short, I'll be studying people, ecology, and development. For more information on the specific courses I'll be taking, check out the course description page on this blog (see the links at the top of the page).


See the next post for more FAQS about Thailand and my program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment