Wednesday, September 2, 2015

What I'm Doing

Hello Folks!
        I have so many wonderful caring people in my life that want to know about my time in DC, that I've decided to start up my blog again!

I have joined AVODAH:the Jewish Service Corps in Washington DC. The mission of AVODAH is to strengthen the Jewish community's fight against the causes and effects of poverty in the United States. AVODAH does this by engaging participants in service and community building that inspires them to become lifelong leaders for social change whose work for justice is rooted in and nourished by Jewish values.  Essentially, I will be working in a non-profit and living in a community of people doing similar work. 

I will be working full time as a Program Associate at Yachad. Yachad is an organization committed to bringing communities together by preserving affordable homes and revitalizing neighborhoods throughout the District of Columbia and the greater metropolitan area.

There are 23 corps members in DC this year and we live in one of two big, old houses. I am living in a house with 12 other women. We do not simply live together, but we strive to create intentional community and support one another.  To facilitate this community, AVODAH runs programming for their corps members including Limmud (learning) sessions, Kehila (community) nights, Retreats, Issue Salons, and Shabatons.

It's going to be a really fun year and I hope this answers some of the basic questions. More information coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment