Thursday, July 11, 2013

Let The Fun Begin

Now, since the introductory posts are done, we can have some fun. (Keep reading, this post has pictures!)

"Brevity is the soul of wit."

My father strongly believed that Shakespeare and Hemingway had it right. The only correct way to write is clear, concise and simple. 
cut all the fluff  - All The Things
Older readers may not catch this reference.


While I subscribe to this motto in theory, I also happen to love stream of conscious writing. Sit me down in front of a computer and I'll write 2000 words in 15 minutes, no problem. Consider this my apology in advance for what will--at least, initially-- be wordy posts. Since I expect only dear friends and family to ever lay eyes on this small piece of the internet, I don't anticipate any disgruntled readers. (Though maybe I should expect more). 


Summer Preparations

Included in the acceptance letter to my program is an *EIGHT* page gear list. Because much of the program and the courses take place outdoors, it is imperative that participants have the right gear. The first week of the program a gear check takes place and if you don't have the right stuff you can be kicked off the program. 

This meant a lot of summer shopping. 

What used to be a fun, stress-free afternoon activity, has become a test of my fortitude, thriftiness, credit-limit, and my mother's patience. 

I have been to every outdoor store across the state of Michigan and tried on every shirt, pant, and shoe in the place *twice.* 

While my mother insists that I have an hourglass, model-body to make other women jealous, I am all too often reminded of the frustrating genetics of the Solomon/Kuenstler women. Accompanying my small waist are large hips, large calves, and what my sister and I have lovingly deemed "thunder thighs." 

These features have led to a number of embarrassing moments in dressing rooms--like the time the Express worker insisted the zip boots would fit over my calves, despite my protests, and vainly pulled the zipper only to walk away in defeat, everyone embarrassed. On another occasion I had to give up on a cute dress because though it would fit on my waist, I couldn't get it over my shoulders or hips to try it on. 

Take my body talk in jest though. I do appreciate everything my body is capable of doing. The only time in my life I had the skinny calves I dreamed of was after 6 weeks in a cast when the muscle had atrophied and I was unable to walk. 

Still, buying gear for the program has been a challenge. I was forced to endure many ill fitting pants with awkward seams that cut straight across my thighs. In desperation, I tried the pants in the men's department. I was on the verge of defeat before I finally found several pants that were synthetic, quick drying, UPF protected, and actually fit my body. 

It has been fun though and I've gotten some amazing stuff. Of course, after each purchase of something cool, I've worn it around the house for about an hour fantasizing about all the awesome stuff I'll be doing with it. I'm nearly done collecting the items on the list and the big challenge looming is packing it all up. Definitely the coolest I've gotten so far is my Visa. I couldn't stop staring at it when it arrived in the mail and I'm excited to show it to you! :) 

My visa is pretty much the coolest looking thing ever. 
Armed with my visa, and a headlamp, I'm ready to tackle anything! 



The deliberation room:
 where my mother, father, and I carefully review the purchases
to determine what we're keeping and what's getting returned. 

More gear, safely stored in the closet until packing time. 

Check out dem sexy legs and socks!






No comments:

Post a Comment