Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thai-English Dictionary

Understand it or not, Thai is a regular part of my vernacular now. ISDSI students have become fluent in a language we have dubbed, Thai-lish and when I get back to the states, I won't be able to give up on a few of my favorite Thai words. Here are a few words and phrases to learn and love:

Sah-wat-dee: Hello!

ex: Sah-wat-dee ka Aaron. How was Madrid?

Mae/Paw: Mom/Dad

ex: I am going home over Spring to see my Mae and Paw

sabai sabai: relaxing, chill chill,

ex: Instead of going to the party, I stayed home, drank tea, and watched a movie. Sabai Sabai

mai-pen-rai: It's all good, it doesn't mater, no big deal, hakunah matata

ex: Aww man! The ice cream store is out of rocky road. Mai-pen-rai, I'll get mint chocolate chip." 

mai-ru (jak): I don't know

ex: "Hey, Wendy, do you know when The Hobbit is coming out?" "Mai-ru" 

sue-sue: Fight on! Victory! You can do it! Stay the course! This phrase is usually followed by a peace sign (aka a V for victory)

ex: "ugggh! I don't want to write this paper." "You can do it! Sue-Sue!" 

nit-noi: a little bit, slightly, always put at the end of sentences

ex: I'm hungry nit noi . The test was hard nit noi

cheem: taste/sample

ex: ooh! Your snack looks good. Can I cheem it? 

kanom: snack/desert

ex: ooh your kanom looks good. Can I cheem it? 

pang (mahk): (very) expensive

ex: I went to the tourist-y area of town and it was pang mahk! 

farang: Westerner/white person

ex: I went to the farang area of town and it was pang mahk! 

I reserve the right to add more words to this list at any time. 




No comments:

Post a Comment